Thursday, February 5, 2009

Movie 3 - Red Cliff 2

4 February 2009 - Red Cliff 2

Part 2 of John Woo's epic. Better than the first part.

My favourite part: Where Zhou Yu and Zhu Geliang challenged each other to kill the Chao Cao's naval commanders and to get 100,000 arrows respectively. I think Zhu Geliang still has the finer touch in terms of wits. His plans are more elegant and intelligent.

How wars are won then in ancient China? From the movie - wits, intelligence and luck.

The final word of Zhou Yu after the war - No one is a victor here.

Who actually benefitted from war? No one. Wars are only the selfish act of crazy people.

Totally impressed with Chao Cao's influenced on his army. Even when they are dying, they still pledged their loyalty.

For acting, Zhang Feng-Yi got top marks as Chao Cao. Whereas, I think Tony Leung and Takeshiro are just A-list actors paid to make the movie more reputable in terms of casting.

My rating: 4/5

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tony Leung was nominated for Best Actor in the Hong Kong Film Awards. Beats me. I really wonder, in this movie, is it his acting or his reputation which got him nominated.