Thursday, November 6, 2008

The Sun Motor Hunt - Post Mortem

The Mother of all Hunts was here and gone. This is my third Sun Hunt, but for reasons that are not known to me myself as well, I was actually very excited about the hunt. It was the first hunt since the Bukit Bintang Boys hunt in July.

This year instead of teaming up with my usual 'hunt-kaki', I had two newbies and one regular 'kaki' as team members. Due to them being new, I had to force one of them to be the driver.

The first leg at Kota Damansara was a disaster, as far as I am concerned. Arriving at Kota Damansara, we were very quick to solve Question 5, and then we thought the sector for Questions 1-5 was along the shop for Q5 answer, but it turned out not to be. Due to a miscommunication with the regular 'kaki', I ended up in another wrong location/sector for Q1-5. By then I was completely lost. Throughout the whole time at Kota Damansara, my brain was 'malfunctioned'. And we actually spent the most time here. Lucky, my regular kaki performed here, and he supplied most of the answers. Leaving Kota Damansara to Sunway Damansara was better for me, as I started to pick back pieces of my shattered brains and put it in function mode.

Control point at Sunway toll makes us lost about ten minutes waiting for the McD's to pack our lunch. They should get all these ready, as in the case of last year hunt, where it was all nicely packed and waiting to be collected. After waiting for ten minutes, Joehari (the Sun paper guy) told that if we could not wait, we can come back later to collect. With another 2hours to finish time, we had no choice but to leave the place for the second leg - with a hungry stomach.

Fortunately, Leg 2 was easier for us. We combed this leg and the treasures in the 2hours and 10 minutes. Meaning we reached the finish control 10 minutes past the given 6hours. And we did better in this leg.

Overall, I felt this hunt is tougher than last year, probably due to the 'malfunctioned brain' during Leg 1. But came the surprise during the answers presentation. Our score this year was higher than last year, despite having two newbies on board. I cant remember exactly our position last year but it was between 90-100, but this year we finished at 56 - a quantum leap for us. Hopefully, with more practices, we can break into the top 20 next year. (Keeping our fingers crossed). It was a satisfying hunt. We improved on our position, score and of course the prize. All these despite with 2 freshies.

Lessons learned:
  • Time management - Well, this is already an old topic, but we, or rather I, seemed to have forgotten. Leg 1 took us from about 8am-12pm without stopping to get the treasure, while the Leg 2 was done in slightly more than 2hours. If we were to have spend a little more time here, we would have got the two questions we missed out on the sector at TTDI.
  • Task assignment - We should have left at two members on the sector at TTDI to try while the rest can leave to submit the answers or get two guys for the question and another two for treasures. That would have also probably gave the two questions at TTDI.
  • Treasures cracking - Solving treasure questions remains our weakest link. I, for one, is an idiot when cracking treasures. Need to pay more attention to treasures. Some help from anyone, please..

No comments: